Monday, May 01, 2006

Squirrel Attacks Squngee...

We had a squngee in our tree. Until yesterday.

It had been hanging without corn since the snow cleared up. (I figured the squirrels would find plenty of food in the spring without my squngee). Yesterday I saw a squirrel chewing on the twine we had used to hang it in the tree. He was attacking it rather vigorously, as if to say "FEED ME OR TAKE IT DOWN!!!" Maybe (s)he wanted it for her nest.

You may not be able to tell from this picture, but the business end of the squngee (the hooks where the corn goes) was in the tree, and the twine end (user attached... not part of the high quality, well researched, and patented Squngee product) which had attached it to the tree was hanging downward.

Seeing as I had no corn to hang on it, I took it down. After taking this picture, of course. Pesky squirrels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, first of all, there is NO twine end on a Squngee! There's a chain end (strong, galvanized steel chain) and a lag screw end. Twine is very prone to damage from squirrel teeth. Chain however, is impervious to squirrel teeth. There, I've said my piece. (Sheesh, you'd think an engineer would be able to outsmart a squirrel!)
Oh, one other thing, Spring is actually the time of year when squirrels starve...all their stored food is used up and the new food is yet to be provided to them.
Scott, the SQUNGEE inventor

nancy_scraps said...

Hey, when I was hanging it up the only thing I could find to hang it with was twine. The chain end was not long enough to hang the squngee from the only available branch.
Sorry I mutated your creation so badly.
I will go out and get more corn this weeken to re-feed the little guys. Any idea where I can get a nice length of chain to properly hang my squngee?