Monday, May 14, 2007

Random Weekend Thoughts

Sorry no pictures lately.

This weekend I started the painting project...our bedroom. It had last been painted 16 years ago when we first moved into the house. It was dusty mauve and cream with a "rag painting" technique and a lovely chair rail.

We had two minor water damage occurences in the meantime. Plus some minor construction in the adjoining room. Plus the house is 76 years old. All this to say that I spent several hours each day this weekend scraping, repairing, sanding, more spackle, more scraping, more spackle, more sanding, lots of clean-up. I believe it is now ready to prime and then paint. Whew. That should be the easy part. Pictures will be posted when it's done. (Should take a week, since I have some prior commitments this week in the evenings). The color is "Nutmeg Frost". An orangey brown. Then I may actually decorate so it's like a grown up adult room and not early american college. I think it is the only room left with that decor style.

My Jenni Bowlin kit came, and alas, is still sitting in its bag. Lovely papers this month. That's ok. I've really been wanting to paint the bedroom for some time.

Mom's day morning was great. Margaret brought me toast on a purple tray (your favorite color, mom!) She was sooooo proud. I know she did it all herself because Charlie was still snoozing next to me when she arrived with my toast. She also had made me three cards (one at school, one at daycare, one at home) and two little presents. Then she wanted to cuddle. Just perfect.

Daughter two had her stuff all laid out on the kitchen table. Cards and homemade pictures. She was not as "into" the whole pampering of mom thing as much as Margaret, but she did insist I choose our ice cream location....Libery Custard, of course.

Margaret started a loose tooth this weekend. Her first one. She is not excited about it, however. She knows she has to stop sucking her thumb for good when the new tooth comes in...and she is not ready for that. She was very distraght to discover the loose tooth.

Amelia spent the weekend pretending she was a pioneer girl. We have been reading the "Little House" series to the girls, and we are now on Little Town on the Prairie. We just finished the chapter where Laura gets a buggy ride to school with Almanzo, they exchange name cards, and Nellie is absolutely GREEN with envy when she sees Laura pull up in Almanzo's buggy. Charlie had never read the books before and he is constantly commenting about what excellent books they are, and how rich a picture they paint of life during that time of US history. He especially liked "Farmer Boy" (always my favorite, too.)

Amelia is all over the one-room schoolhouse concept, and all the peculiarities(to us) of pioneer life. Sun bonnets. Aprons. Farm Chores. Lots of thing for her to do role playing around. And Amelia's entire play life is pretty much role playing (and setting the stage/environment for that play). Maybe she will be a set designer? Or maybe a museum curator? Hmmmm.

Another comment from this weekend? Margaret looking at the calendar and then happily exclaiming that there are only three more days until her next soccer game. (She had one on Saturday and loves every moment of it! She runs hard the entire time she's in there. Good to see. I hope the enthusiasm keeps up.)

Amelia's school had a band/orchestra presentation on Friday. Fourth graders can take band or orchestra after school at Mt. Olivet Lutheran Church next door. I would like her to do piano or a nice choir, but she is totally set on taking the violin. We had my violin and cello out and the girls were trying both. I really do miss playing cello. I am half inspired to get myself to cello lessons again. Not sure I would be able to find time to practice, however, so I'm sure this inspiration will sit idle for awhile.

My doctor was quite effusive this morning over the weight loss/exercise and accompanying benefits. Lower BP. Lower Pulse. She even commented that my heart sounded in good shape. She said something about a murmur that develops in exercising hearts due to the muscles getting more efficient (or something like that). Anyway...I didn't realize you couldn't fool the doc on that old exercise line. I guess they really can tell if you do or don't. (I asked if that murmur goes away after more and more exercise...she said.."nope. Only if you stop exercising. It's actually a sign of good health").

"Come back in a year." I can't imagine only seeing the doc once in a year. (assuming the girls don't get sick) It will be super!

2 comments:

Bonita Rose said...

congrats on the great doctor's report.. I am hoping for a good one next month myself! hugs

Michelle said...

Wow!!! Busy week. It sounds like a great weekend. From the few times I"ve met the girls, I would've expected Amelia to be more inclined to snuggle and make breakfast. Either way, it had to be enjoyable. The bedroom color sound wonderful: warm and inviting for sure. And congrats on the doc's report. I better hit the gym a bit more often. :)