Sunday, April 22, 2007

Donna D

I had a really awesome time this weekend at Scrapbooks Too. Donna Downey visited for the weekend and was at the crop on Friday night as well as teaching 5 classes on Saturday.

I was at the crop on Friday night and it was fun to see a few folks I hadn't seen in a while (especially Wendy...it had been ages, girl!) As usual, cropping at the store isn't my favorite. It's so cramped and not as comfortable as my cozy spot at home. However, I did get 7 pages and a Cosmo Cricket lacing card kit done. So I was very productive. Cathy Zielske came along with Donna and was delightful as well. She even called up Alli in Albuquerque on Linda's phone. Left a message. Funny.


I has mixed feelings about attending a class with Donna. I had seen her last year, and it was a bit spendy, but I am SOOOO glad I went.

I attended the last class (Saturday evening at 8:30pm) and she had been teaching since 9am. I think because she was maybe a bit tired and the class was small (maybe 12 of us?) she ended up being very real. She helped me a bit with the design on the inner pages of my album. And she was full of encouragement and little tips. It was a fun three hours creating with Donna.

Here's the cover on the 12x12 album that I made.


The buttons were serendipity. I poured out the jar of buttons on the cover to pick one for the closure. I just loved the way they sat there and decided to embellish with them.

Here's the first page on the inside. We were supposed to pick 12 words...a theme for each page inside. I had picked 12 travel locations and had plans to do a travel album. Donna talked about having the words interplay between pages (because the 8 1/2 x 11 pages inside were staggered so you can see through to the next page or pages). I was wondering about how to interplay place names and Donna suggested adding generic travel words like Journey or Escape. I ended up really loving the results.



I ended up painting another 3 hours on Sunday to finish up all the inner pages. Now I need to add pictures and the plan is for lots of handwriting (journaling and doodling). That should take a bit more time. I will post when it's done, but don't look for it any time soon!

3 comments:

mindakms said...

Pretty please with sugar on top bring what you have done so far to our group on the 30th, okay!?!?

Anonymous said...

SOOOO Jealous. I wanted to take that class but didn't think I could pull it all together in time. I am anxious to see the finished product!!!
Susan

Scraploft said...

Hey Nancy - I just tagged you.. check out the blog.
www.scraploft.blogspot.com