Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The last week of....

The girls' last day of school is next Tuesday, June 12. We have been discussing "lasts" over the last week.

Today is their "last Wednesday". Margaret is sad because it is her "last day of art class". Amelia is sad because it is her last day of reading and now she has to spend "all day in Mr. K's class". (They switch classes for reading and she really, really loves her reading teacher) Not a lot of working going on...mostly the winding up of things.

Handing in the library books, bringing home the art projects and work books, field day and carnivals, choir concerts.

I think that is was I miss most about school. It seemed that no matter how hard or bad things got, it would all be over at the end of the semester. You could start the next school term energized and full of hope. A totally new set of classes. A chance for everything to go well.

Sometimes I feel like I need an "end of the semester" for my personal life. You know... wrap things up. Closure. Maybe an evaluation period. But then the ability to MOVE ON. I seem to carry stuff forever. I have some ideas in my head of things to "do around the house" that have been there for years. Or just general things that I am going to do "someday". I'm not talking about giving up legitimate dreams (I still want to score 100 on 18 holes someday), but I am talking about giving up the laundry list of somedays. And of course, all the parenting mistakes you make... you don't just get a grade and move on...you have to live with the outcome of the mistakes you made. And you can't just tell the kids, "New semester at school. I'm going to be a different mommy now." and start over.

There's no drastic things in my life I'm talking about, just the strain of 22 years of being an adult and not being able to "close up the semester".

Here's to fresh starts!


I have scrapped at least one page every day in June so far! It's my own personal challenge for the month. Here's yesterday, for those who haven't seen it on the board where I post my layouts. Gotta start thinking about tonight's! I don't have a lot of time to do them (I can squeeze in 30 mins or so) so they are simple. But hey, they are completed pages. And a good stress relief for me.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Yup, I know what you mean. And not only the sense of closure, but the sense of accomplishment. Even if a semester didn't go as well as you planned...well, you did it! And there was some satisfaction in looking over the semester's worth of notes or papers or projects and thinking how productive you'd been.

Here's the fresh starts!

Michelle

Bonita Rose said...

love that layout gf!