Thursday, March 16, 2006

Cookie Season is almost over.......

I have three boxes of cookies left to sell. And 5 parents to collect money from.

Our troop of 10 little 1st and 2nd graders sold over 900 boxes of cookies!!! Organizing cookie sales has been the easiest part of being a girl scout leader. Actually running an hour and a half long meeting...that is the most difficult part.

The girls are so sweet and excited about everything. They want to try everything. They want to go camping and ice fishing and bicycling and paint and play soccer and sew and knit and act in plays and sing and ..... I love the enthusiasm they have when you ask them for ideas!!!

But when you try to get them to focus and do the actual activity we are working on...then the energy and enthusiasm erupts into chaos! Yikes!

But I love them all! I see the little faces looking to me for help or affirmation or a smile or a kind word, and it is all worth the struggle I have keeping them on task. I could never be a school teacher, but working with these Brownies once a month is just the right nudge I need to be reminded of the energy, creativity, and chaos that little girls bring to the world. Sure, I get a lot of that with two girls of my own, but seeing other peoples' kids and seeing them all interact in a world that is not my house is an eye opening and (usually) heart warming experience.

Make sure YOU affirm a kid today. Whether it's one in your house, or one that you just smile at in the grocery store. They want adults to care about them... and they are worth it!

No comments: