Thursday, March 15, 2007

Yin and Yang

Have I commented on how different my two girls are?


Example from last evening.

Daughter 1: "Aww. Do I have to do homework? Can't I just do it tomorrow? It's not due until Friday." (We had been having this conversation for three days, slowly extracting bits and pieces of work from her.)

Daugther 2: "Can we stay up late and finish my homework tonight so I can hand it in tomorrow? I like to be ahead." (She just got it today and it's not due until next WEDNESDAY!)


One is my artiste/non-conformist daugther. One is my "rules were made to make me look good" daughter.

I know. Labels are not pretty. I see me in both of them. (OK, more one than the other.) It's tough to parent two totally different kids when one of your goals is to make sure they have some level of happiness and success as adults. They will have two very different paths to that place.

Here's hoping that awareness that they are two different kids will help us in guiding them down those different paths. Paths we have not trod ourselves, but are yet vaugely familiar with in spots.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how two girls can be so different. I have the same issues. Kaitlyn follows all the first born "rules" of which I never did...Emily is going to the death of me some days. I wouldn't change a thing about either of them as it makes them each unique and very "them" However...I wonder some days if they can both be mine!!!! :)

Marcy said...

I love your statement about how they will take completely different roads to personal success/happiness. Too true!!! My boys are opposites, too, and we struggle with balancing their two personalities and the opportunities that we provide each of them while they are young.