Friday, October 20, 2006

Possums and Mice and Voles, oh my!

There was a possum in our garage last night when Charlie came home with the girls from dance. I didn't see it (luckily)

Last week, Charlie was watching TV and happened to look down, and a little while mouse was starting up at him. I found him sitting in the TV room with a broom (to whack the little thing if it came back).

Of course this all started a month ago when I was confronted by a brown creature in the hallway to the bathroom. It was "mouselike", but larger, and very, very brown. I believe this was a vole? We don't know. I just gave my little mouse shriek (it's not very shriek-y...more of a gasp of surprise) and it ran away.


This all goes with the family of raccoons we saw a few block away. There were six of them all together climbing down a tree and crossing the road.

Did I share the raccoon story? I was in the car with the girls on 46th Street, just East of Lake Harriet where there are really big houses and a boulevard in the street with trees on it. It was just past dusk, I noticed something moving across the road, so I slowed WAAAAY down. The raccoons used this time to scamper back to the tree, so as I slowly drove by, the lights from the car illuminated 5 or 6 racoons clinging to the trunk of a not so large tree. I figured they were a family, even though they were all close to full size. I mentioned to the girls..."Look, it's a raccoon family". Margaret asked "Where are the babies". I said, "well the babies are grown up, but they aren't quite adults, so they live with their parents still" She replied, "Oh, Raccoon Teenagers". I laughed 'til I cried. You can't make this stuff up...kids are just too funny.


Anyway, did I tell anyone I live IN Minneapolis. Not in the suburbs. Not in a cornfield. IN Minneapolis. What's with the animals? If I wanted wildlife, I'd move to a farm. Maybe we need to get a cat.

(I LOVE my fat squirrels. I feed them with the squngee...you don't think the squirrels are inviting all the others, telling about what great hosts we are, do you? I keep my corn for the squngee safely sealed away, so I don't think it's the corn supply attracting them.)

No comments: