Friday, January 02, 2009

Field Museum Chicago



On Monday this week (December 29) we went to the Field Museum in Chicago. I remember going when I was in grade school (I grew up about 1.5 hours away from it, so it was a usual field trip in grades school). All I remembered from the Field Museum were the stuffed animals. Glad to see they were still there. They have a T-Rex skeleton, and a super lovely building.



I'd like to know when exhibits started all being in the dark, however. One of my daughters had really quite an entirely horrible day because she was a bit spooked by all the exhibits. Every one is now dark, with spotlights on posters and artifacts. I am not happy to have spent all that money and had one of the girls basically clinging and whining all day. However...the other one LOVED it. Amelia wanted to read every poster, see every video, view every artifact. Wow. She just soaked in the Indian exhibits. They have a very nice selection of artifacts of native groups from the Americas...Mayas, Incas, Eskimos, Aztecs, all the "US" groups that Amelia is studying right now in school. So that part of the day made me very happy and made the whole money thing worth it.




Most of the pictures are crappy, I'm not happy with my camera at all. Really. I just cannot figure out the lighting/exposure stuff with it. The flash just is not working for me. I am not a camera idiot. I have taken some very nice pictures in my day and I knew how to handle f-stops and aperatures to get what I wanted. I was much happier with my film SLR. Maybe I just need a point and shoot digital and continue to use the film for pictures I care about. And I know I can post-process a lot of these pictures to improve them. But the point is that I don't have the time to do that (I barely have time to get pictures ordered), and with film I always loved the way they came out. sigh.

No comments: