Friday, August 29, 2008

On getting old...

I stopped at Walgreen's in Edina on the way home from work today. I needed some Sudafed to try to clear up this crazy cold or allergy before it decides to settle in my chest.

Those of you who know Edina know that it does have an aging population. It's a little slice of Florida (in fact, many residents are likely starting to think about heading there soon). My trip to Walgreen's was a sobering look into what growing old must be like.

As I walked in, an elderly gentleman was waiting with his walker at the edge of the handicapped parking area as his wife was coming around the car to help him in.

Inside the store, the first gentleman I saw was carrying a large bag of "disposable undergarments".

When I got back to the prescription counter (you have to surrender ID and sign in for Sudafed) three ladies there were talking about diabetes supplies...which ones were the best for checking blood and which were covered by Medicare.

The gentleman next to me, when asked for his address, started with one and then stopped himself. "Ooops." he said "I had lived there since I was 6 years old. Here's my new address" It included an apartment #. I suspect he had recently moved out of his home of 70+ years.

My intent is not in any way to make fun of this situation (although a wry smile is on my face as I re-read this), but the sobering thought that I could be there some day. Unable to walk, incontinent, with diabetes, moving to a new home... away from where I raised kids. Whenever I am reminded of this I get a little "health kick urge" going. Walking and a little weight training to keep my body able to handle life after 70. Or 80. Or 90. I may have some genes on my side. One Grandma lived to 103. She lived on her own (in an apartment the last 7 or 8 years of that) until she was 98 or 99.

That's all today. Just a thought.

2 comments:

Mrs Pretzel said...

nnnnoooooooooooo I don't want to get old... because I know that even though I will LOOK old... it will still be ME on the inside... and I won't want the peeps to treat me like they treat the old folks these days... ::sigh:: will you let me know when you find the antidote?

Anonymous said...

Actually, anyone could be in an accident tomorrow and be in the same condition as a 70 or 80 year old person. My neighbor, a campus minister, had a motorcycle accident and has no use of his legs. He is excited he can now lift his arm to some degree. Or, heaven forbid, you could be diagnosed with a progressive disease and age faster than what seems fair. At 48, I am the equivalent of that 85-year old person who uses a walker and needs help getting into the car. May you appreciate every day the abilities you have, all you are able to do, and all the places you are able to go. Use the abilities you have to help those around you who aren't as fortunate. Be helpful by holding the door for someone, asking how you can help someone in need, and giving a friendly smile instead of a wry one. Be the person who is helpful instead of requiring help because God has given you that ability....not because you deserve it, but for the opportunity to glorify Him and be a blessing to others. Life on earth is temporary. Every day is a gift. Use your time and abilities wisely and with compassion. Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow.